Hydration is crucial to the wellbeing of your skin, no matter your age. Still, during menopause dryness is one of the most common issues and can occur regardless of the season. Below, you’ll see that during menopause the most important thing to treat your dry skin is to use the right products and to stick to a routine.
Taking care of your skin during menopause is key
Hormone imbalance during menopause can decrease your skin's hydration levels. Sebaceous secretions decrease with age as well. If you have noticed that you are experiencing a dull complexion, roughness and your skin is more sensitive it means that you have to modify your skincare routine.
For once, sebum is a good thing, keep it coming!
Here are a few steps you can take to hydrate on a daily basis:
1. Use gentle cleansers that protect your skin barrier function twice a day and try to avoid hot water
2. Moisturise your face and body at least twice a day
3. Choose products that contain water-attracting ingredients like hyaluronic acid and glycerine
4. Flaky, rough skin needs regular exfoliation as well, because it may not absorb the hydrators that you are applying. The key is to remove the dead skin cells from the top layer. Either you can do it at home or you can also try in-office professional care like chemical peels, or microdermabrasion. Always use broad-spectrum sun protection products after exfoliation. Consult your dermatologist to determine the best treatment course for your skin needs.
5. Consider living a healthier life! Smoking, alcohol, and excessive tanning without sun protection can worsen your skin condition and cause dryness.
6. Start using hydrating face mist or spray thermal water during the day and avoid the places where the air is dry. This extra dose of hydration can do a lot for your skin throughout the day.
7. And, please, don’t forget to eat well. Drink suitable amounts of water to provide enough hydration to your body. Try to include water-rich products and omega-3 fatty acids to your daily diet.
Key elements to remember
Hydrating is a must do. It’s the "how to" that matters the most.
Keys to preventing dryness:
- No perfume
- Avoid hot water when you cleanse
- Be sure to hydrate at least twice a day
- And maintain a healthy lifestyle